Fried Cabbage with Smoked Sausage and White Beans is not only easy, it is also delicious! What wouldn’t be good with bacon and onions? This recipe is so simple and prepared in one skillet. Bonus! (Remember, I don’t like to do dishes)
You could easily keep this paleo and keto compliant by leaving out the white beans and using broth instead of cider. I used a light cider, but you could use gluten free beer or even dry white wine. I like the slight apple flavor the cider gives to the dish.
Health Benefits of Cabbage
Cabbage is a great replacement for carbs in meals. One cup of cabbage only has 2 net carbs and is packed with Vitamin C. Cabbage is also rich in antioxidants and is known to have cancer fighting properties.
How To Make Fried Cabbage with Smoked Sausage
Cook your bacon first. For a quicker cooking time, dice your bacon before cooking. When the bacon is finished, remove from skillet keeping the yummy bacon grease.
Heat the skillet to medium high and put the sliced smoked sausage in the bacon grease. Sear on each side for 2 minutes, then remove from skillet and set aside.
Turn the heat back to medium. Add the onions and cook until translucent. The garlic can be added now. Stir constantly for 30 seconds.
Stir in your shredded cabbage and cook for a few minutes. Add your Cider and simmer for 20 minutes.
Now let’s put the sausage and white beans in and stir well.
Sprinkle the bacon on top, season with salt and pepper, then Enjoy!
If you have any leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.Print
Easy Fried Cabbage with Smoked Sausage
Fried Cabbage with smoked sausage is such an easy recipe. It is easily converted to paleo/keto friendly and….who doesn’t love bacon and onions?
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 Slices Uncured Bacon
- 1 lb Uncured Smoked Sausage or Kielbasa
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Head Cabbage, Shredded
- 1 C Hard Cider, Gluten Free Beer or Broth*
- 1 Can White Beans*
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add diced bacon and cook until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside. Keep the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Heat same skillet to medium high. Sear the smoked sausage on each side for 2 minutes. Remove from skillet, set aside.
- Reduce heat back to medium and add the onion. Cook until translucent. Add garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds.
- Place the cabbage in the skillet and stir well. Add cider, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Now place your white beans and smoked sausage back in the skillet and stir well.
- Sprinkle the bacon over the top.
*For keto/paleo, leave out the white beans and use broth.
Keywords: fried cabbage
If you like this recipe, try